GUIDELINES FOR DEATH & ILLNESS PROCEDURES
THE OUTLINED PROCEDURES ARE DESIGNED TO MEET THE NEEDS OF AN ILL MEMBER AND/OR THE FAMILY OF A DECEASED MEMBER. NOTIFICATION TO THE CHURCH IS REQUIRED FOR ANY PROCEDURES TO BE IMPLEMENTED. The following procedures should be followed in the event of a death, long-term illness or accident of a PSBC member or an immediate family member of which you would like for the membership of Poplar Spring Baptist Church to be notified. (NOTE: Immediate family members include spouse, parents and grandparents, children and grandchildren, brothers and sisters, mother-in-law and father-in-law, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, daughters-in-law and sons-in-law. Adopted, half, and step members are also included in immediate family.)
- Notify the pastor, Dr. Vardy Freeman, at 864-281-0706 (home); or you may leave a message on the church phone at 864-963-4221 or 864-967-7571.
- The pastor will notify the pastoral care minister, Rev. Jerry Commander at 864-382-0642 (cell) and the deacon chairperson, Deacon Keith Holmes at 803-466-8758 (cell). They will begin the guideline procedures.
- Commander will contact a family member/family spokesperson so that the following actions can be taken:
- With permission and approval from the family, the church congregation will be notified of the event via the One-Call System. The church secretary will be notified for this task.
- Death of PSBC Church Member:
- A sympathy card will be sent from the church to the family
- A flower/plant will be sent from the church to the family
- A repast will be provided after funeral services with approval from the family
- Death of an Immediate Family Member of a PSBC Member:
- A sympathy card and flower/plant will be sent to the PSBC member
- Hospitalization or Serious Illness of PSBC Member: (Three (3) days or longer)
- Get Well Card or Thinking of You Card will be sent from the church
- Hospitalization or Serious Illness of Non-PSBC Family Member: (3 days or longer)
- Get Well Card or Thinking of You Card sent from church to PSBC member.
- Accident of PSBC Member or Non-PSBC Family Member:
- Get Well Card or Thinking of You Card will be sent from the church to member
All Sympathy, Get Well and Thinking of You cards will be completed and mailed by the church secretary.